12 Best CMS For Small Business In 2023
If you’re a small business owner looking to establish a solid online presence, finding the best CMS for small business is key to your success.
Don’t worry if you’re not a tech expert; a Content Management System (CMS) is here to simplify your digital journey.
In this article, we’ll dive into the top CMS options perfect for small businesses like yours.
Whether you aim to create an eye-catching online store, a dynamic blog, or a sleek, professional portfolio, we have you covered.
Join us as we navigate the world of CMS platforms designed to turn your business website hopes into reality effortlessly and efficiently.
This post covers:
The Best CMS For Small Business
The right CMS makes managing your website a breeze, allowing you to focus more on growing your business and less on tech headaches.
What should you look for? Key features include user-friendliness (because who needs more complexity?), customizable designs to make your brand shine, reliable customer support for those just-in-case moments, and scalability to grow with your business.
Oh, and don’t forget about mobile responsiveness and SEO tools – they’re the secret sauce for attracting more visitors.
Choosing a CMS that ticks these boxes is a game-changer for your online success.
WordPress is packed with tools and features while being incredibly user-friendly. It’s no wonder over a third of the web is powered by it!
First off, WordPress is super flexible.
Whether you’re setting up a boutique site, a buzzing blog, or a portfolio to showcase your talents, it easily adapts to your needs. (Help yourself with this comprehensive guide on how to make a WordPress website.)
The vast array of themes and plugins means you can tailor your site to look and function exactly how you want. And you don’t need to be a tech guru to make it happen!
Moreover, as your business blooms, WordPress scales with you. You can add new features, expand your content, and even integrate eCommerce (hey, WooCommerce!) without a hitch.
Plus, its SEO-friendliness is a game-changer, helping potential customers find you easily.
Most importantly, WordPress has a warm and welcoming community. You’re never alone; support and advice are always available, making your web journey successful and enjoyable.
Key Features of WordPress:
- Intuitive and easy-to-navigate dashboard for small business owners to manage their website without technical expertise.
- With 1,000s of themes and plugins, WordPress allows businesses to tailor their website’s appearance and functionality to suit their specific needs and brand identity.
- WordPress is designed with SEO in mind, offering clean code and a variety of SEO plugins like Yoast SEO to improve your search engine rankings.
- It supports everything from small blogs to large eCommerce sites, allowing you to expand your website’s capabilities as needed.
- WordPress is regularly updated with new features, security enhancements, and performance improvements. This ensures that your website remains modern, secure, and efficient.
WordPress is for small business owners who seek a balance of simplicity, flexibility, and scalability in their online presence.
It’s perfect for anyone aiming to build a professional website easily, yet with plenty of options for growth and personalization as their business develops.
Pricing: WordPress is a free and open-source CMS.
Wix is a fantastic CMS choice for small businesses, making website creation a breeze with its drag-and-drop simplicity.
You don’t need ANY skills to craft a stunning, professional-looking site. (In no time!) Don’t forget, Wix has an AI assistant that makes website creation a piece of cake.
Wix is all about giving you creative control while keeping things straightforward. With many customizable templates, it’s like having a design studio at your fingertips, tailored to your unique brand.
Also, Wix’s responsive nature ensures your site looks fabulous on any device, whether a desktop or a smartphone.
Besides being pretty to the eye, Wix is also packed with powerful business tools.
From appointment scheduling to eCommerce features, Wix has got you covered. And when it comes to getting noticed, Wix’s built-in SEO tools are a small business’s best friend.
Choosing Wix means joining a community where ease, efficiency, and empowerment come together.
Key Features of Wix:
- Use the drag-and-drop interface to easily create and customize websites without coding knowledge.
- Websites created with Wix are automatically optimized for mobile devices.
- Wix offers an extensive app market to enhance your website with additional functionalities like chat, social media integration, email marketing, and more.
- Wix includes secure and reliable web hosting (+ domain), ensuring your site remains accessible and safe, with regular backups and updates.
Wix is for small business owners who prioritize ease of use and visual appeal in their website creation without requiring deep technical skills.
Entrepreneurs and creatives who want to quickly launch and effortlessly manage a visually stunning and functional online presence are the biggest fans.
Pricing: You can use Wix’s limited free plan or start with its entry-level package for $10/month.
Shopify is a superstar CMS for small businesses, especially those diving into eCommerce. It’s about making online selling as easy as pie.
Shopify stands out for the ease of setting up an online store. It’s like having a helpful buddy who knows about eCommerce and guides you through every step.
It’s all straightforward, from picking a theme that mirrors your brand’s vibe to adding products.
And the best part? While building an eCommerce site was challenging and expansive back in the day, Shopify makes it quick and affordable.
Shopify has everything: Secure payment gateways, inventory management, and insightful analytics. Plus, its SEO and marketing tools are a boon for getting your products noticed by the right audience.
If you’re dreaming of a thriving and easy-to-manage online store, Shopify is your go-to pal.
Note: Don’t forget to check other amazing eCommerce CMS alternatives.
Key Features of Shopify:
- User-friendly platform that simplifies the process of setting up and managing an online store.
- Create a unique and professional online storefront that reflects your brand identity with customizable themes.
- The platform provides robust inventory management tools, making it easy to track stock levels, organize products, and handle variations in size, color, and other options.
- Shopify offers 24/7 customer support to help small business owners navigate any challenges.
Shopify is for small business owners keen on launching and scaling an online store with minimal fuss and maximum efficiency. It’s an all-in-one eCommerce solution that offers ease of use, comprehensive sales tools, and reliable support.
Pricing: Shopify’s entry-level plan goes for $32/month, but you can save if you pay yearly. Also, you can test the platform free for three days.
Craft is about flexibility and control, ensuring your website fits every aspect of your unique business needs.
With Craft, you get to design around your content, not cram your content into pre-set templates.
Plus, Craft’s variety of section types means you can manage different types of content in ways that make the most sense for your business.
Craft’s got you covered with its powerful system to connect all your digital elements seamlessly. Categories, tags, multi-site management, localization – it handles it all, making global reach a breeze.
Furthermore, Craft’s Matrix field type lets you mix and match content types like a pro. And with top-notch asset and user management, you’re always in the driver’s seat.
Don’t forget, if you want to sell stuff online, Craft blends store management with your site content seamlessly.
Build an online presence with Craft that’s a perfect fit and looks fantastic, distinguishing from the rest.
Key Features of Craft:
- Custom fields tailored to your content’s specific needs for personalized content management.
- A robust relationship system interlinks different elements like entries, categories, tags, and assets.
- The CMS supports multi-site management from a single installation to efficiently handle content for multiple related websites.
- Craft excels in localization, offering the ability to tailor content to specific languages and regions, including localized URLs and custom field values.
Craft is for small business owners who desire high customization and control over their website’s structure and content. It’s ideal for those who want a unique online presence and are willing to invest more time and resources into building a sophisticated, feature-rich website.
Pricing: Craft a free, self-hosted Solo plan, while premium packages start at $299 per project.
PrestaShop is a secret superpower for your small business’s online store. It is geared to take your online selling game to the next level with ease and flair.
PrestaShop thrives with its user-friendly approach. Setting up? It’s a breeze. Customizing? As simple as pie.
You get to create a functional online store that mirrors your brand’s unique spirit. And guess what? You don’t need any experience.
Packed with powerful tools for inventory management, secure payment options, and insightful analytics, PrestaShop makes the complex world of eCommerce a breeze.
What’s also cool is PrestaShop’s community. It is bustling with support and insights, making your journey into the digital marketplace not just thriving but also a whole lot of fun.
Key Features of PrestaShop:
- User-friendly interface to set up and manage an online store without requiring extensive technical knowledge. (Help yourself with these cool PrestaShop themes.)
- Extensive options for product management, including detailed product descriptions, inventory tracking, and multiple product variants.
- It supports various payment gateways and methods, so customers enjoy a smooth and secure checkout experience.
- The platform caters to a global audience by offering multilingual and multi-currency features. This makes it easier to expand your business internationally.
PrestaShop is for small business owners venturing into the online retail space who need a straightforward yet comprehensive eCommerce solution.
Seeking a platform that combines ease of use with advanced features for managing products, payments, and customer engagement? That’s PrestaShop.
Pricing: PrestaShop is free and open-source.
Drupal is that tech-savvy, forward-thinking CMS that understands your small business needs and brings cutting-edge tools to the table.
First up, meet Olivero, the new default front-end theme. It’s a modern, WCAG AA conformant design that makes your website accessible and stylish.
Then there’s Claro, the clean and powerful administration theme in Drupal Core. It’s like the command center for your website, offering a user-friendly and modern interface for managing your content.
Upgrades? They’re a breeze now, thanks to easy upgrade paths with tools like drupal-rector. And for those who love customization, the Theme Starterkit tools make bespoke theme creation simpler than ever. (Kickstart your project with a Drupal business template and save extra time.)
Underneath all this, Drupal is powered by Symfony 6 and requires PHP 8.1, ensuring your site is robust and secure.
Drupal isn’t just keeping up with the times; it’s setting the pace, making it a perfect partner for small businesses looking to create a scalable, and modern online presence.
Key Features of Drupal:
- Extensive customization options through modules and themes call for a unique business site.
- It offers sophisticated content management capabilities to manage and display content effectively, including content types, views, and taxonomy.
- Drupal can handle websites of varying sizes and complexities. Thus, it is an excellent option for small businesses that plan to grow and expand their online presence.
- Built-in web services that allow you to use it as a data source and output content as JSON or XML.
Drupal is for small businesses that require a high degree of customization, robust security, and the ability to handle complex content structures or high-traffic volumes. It’s ideal for those with some technical expertise.
Pricing: Drupal is free and open-source.
7. HubSpot CMS
HubSpot’s CMS Hub is a blend of simplicity, power, and much love from marketers, developers, and IT teams.
Gone are the days of wrestling with complex CMS systems or juggling a mishmash of tools. CMS Hub simplifies everything, making creating dynamic, conversion-optimized pages easy across all devices.
Whether you’re a marketing maven or a coding wizard, it’s got something for everyone.
With its drag-and-drop builder, updating and creating pages is a snap – no developer or custom code needed.
And hey, their Content Assistant is like having an AI sidekick helping you whip up SEO-friendly content to boost your traffic. We really enjoy it!
With 100+ modern themes, a nifty blog maker, and a fully integrated CRM, HubSpot CMS Hub turns your website into a lean, mean marketing machine.
Let’s not forget that advanced analytics and A/B testing tools let you track, tweak, and turbocharge your site to meet your business goals.
With HubSpot CMS Hub, you build an optimized online experience that resonates with every visitor.
Key Features of HubSpot CMS:
- CRM integration to track site visitors and create personalized digital experiences based on CRM data.
- Offers tools for optimizing web pages for search engines and conducting A/B tests to determine the most effective content and design.
- It enables the creation of membership-based content, offering exclusive access and personalized experiences to members without additional plugins.
- In-depth analytics and reporting capabilities to track performance, monitor key metrics, and gain insights into user interactions and behaviors.
HubSpot CMS is for small businesses prioritizing marketing and customer relationship management as part of their online strategy. It combines easy website creation with powerful tools for SEO, content personalization, and data-driven insights.
Pricing: HubSpot CMS has a Free plan, while the premium ones start at $23/month.
Get HubSpot CMS
Squarespace is a stylish, savvy CMS for small businesses that knows how to make your website stand out from the masses.
What we particularly like about it are the designer-quality templates. Too pretty! (These Squarespace website examples are good proof.)
They’re like a canvas, ready for you to paint your brand’s unique story, making your website not just functional but a true reflection of your vision.
And the best part? It’s super user-friendly. You can create a gorgeous website that looks like it’s been designed by a pro, regardless of your skills.
Squarespace is also packed with features, from robust eCommerce capabilities and marketing solutions to excellent blogging tools; it’s got everything you need to connect with your audience and sell your products or services.
Squarespace hits the jackpot for small business owners who want a beautiful, practical, easy-to-manage site.
Key Features of Squarespace:
- Includes custom domain name, hosting and free SSL certificate.
- Exceptionally beautiful designs to fit your brand’s aesthetic.
- Intuitive drag-and-drop interface to create and manage a website, regardless of technical skill.
- The platform offers comprehensive analytics and reporting tools. Gain insights into website traffic, audience behavior, and other key metrics.
Squarespace is for creatives, retailers, and entrepreneurs looking for an all-in-one solution that offers beautiful designs, straightforward eCommerce integration, and user-friendly functionality.
Pricing: Squarespace’s entry-level plan costs $16/month, with an option to test it for free for 14 days.
Joomla always has just the tools you need, whether you’re crafting a blog, a business site, or an intricate online portal.
With Joomla, you dive into a world of possibilities. It boasts 1,000s of verified extensions easily found on the Joomla Extensions Directory. Additionally, there are many (free) Joomla business templates with a user-friendly graphical interface for tweaking colors, fonts, and layouts.
But Joomla is also about making your site powerful. Its layout, overrides system and extendable functions offer unparalleled customization – from language overrides to custom CSS.
And don’t worry about the learning curve; Joomla has heaps of free documentation and video training.
As your project grows, Joomla grows with you. Its robust core and scalable architecture mean your site can expand as your business does.
Whether starting small or dreaming big, Joomla is your go-to CMS for a website that adapts and thrives alongside your business.
Key Features of Joomla:
- There’s a vast selection of templates, including many free options, which are highly customizable.
- Thousands of verified 3rd-party extensions for enhancing website functionality.
- Joomla includes an integrated ACL (Access Control List) system for granular control over user permissions and access rights.
- It offers effective cache management options to enhance website loading speeds and performance.
Joomla is for small business owners who require a scalable solution with strong SEO tools, comprehensive user management, multilingual support, and a wide array of customizable templates and extensions.
Pricing: Joomla is free and open-source.
Webflow is like a breath of fresh air in the CMS world, where content management and visual design waltz together in perfect harmony.
For designers, Webflow is a canvas of unlimited possibilities. Design around your real content without ever waiting on developers.
Connect design elements to your collections and play with the content on your live pages. No more messy code or database dilemmas.
Moreover, say goodbye to clunky dashboards. Webflow lets you write, edit, and update content directly on the page, then publish with just a click.
Content strategists, you’re in for a treat, too. Create perfectly structured content with custom fields. Work with various content types, from text to images, and even dynamic HTML embeds.
But developers can get in on the fun via a REST API, making updates or publishing effortless. And if you’re moving from another CMS or a spreadsheet, migrating content to Webflow is smooth.
Webflow is tailor-made for small businesses seeking a powerful, flexible, and visually captivating digital presence. (Gain inspiration from these best Webflow websites.)
Key Features of Webflow:
- Combines content management with visual design to create around actual content without needing to write code.
- Editors can write, edit, and update content directly on the live website.
- Easy content migration, supporting import from other CMS platforms or spreadsheets and export for use elsewhere.
- Custom search experiences and features for filtering and sorting content based on various criteria.
Webflow is for those who want to manage their website’s content and aesthetics directly, without heavy reliance on developers or complex coding. It merges creative freedom with ease of use.
Pricing: Webflow has a free forever plan for hobby and staging sites. On the other hand, pro plans start at $14/month.
Weebly lets you weave your unique story into a stunning website, online store, or blog – all with a few simple drags and drops.
Over 40 million people have already discovered the joy of using Weebly’s intuitive website builder and robust eCommerce tools. And guess what? You can manage your site or store on the go with their sleek mobile app, keeping tabs on performance and orders anywhere, anytime.
With responsive, professional themes, your site will look fantastic on any device. And no design experience? No problem! Weebly’s powerful design tools ensure your site is as unique and vibrant as your business. (Need examples? Check these epic Weebly websites.)
Then there’s the App Center that brings a world of functionality to your site, while SEO tools and custom domains help you reach a wider audience.
Weebly is equipped with all the hot stuff to bring your business to the forefront of the online world.
Key Features of Weebly:
- Intuitive builder to create a professional-looking website easily, with no technical experience.
- It offers a complete eCommerce solution, making setting up an online store, managing products, and processing transactions simple.
- Manage your website or online store on the go (from anywhere!)with Weebly’s mobile app.
- The platform allows you to create custom contact forms, RSVP lists, and surveys, enhancing customer interaction and gathering valuable feedback.
Weebly is for small business owners looking for an easy-to-use, all-in-one platform to create a professional, responsive website, blog, or online store.
Pricing: Weebly offers you a Free solution for basic use, while the entry-level Personal plan costs $10/month.
12. Concrete CMS
Concrete CMS gives you the freedom to customize your site to your heart’s content.
Drag and drop content, WYSIWYG editing, dynamically generated forms, easy theme controls – you name it, Concrete has it. And remember, everything you do is responsive, ensuring your site looks amazing on any device.
But wait, there’s more!
With a vast array of add-ons and an extensive theme directory, extending your website’s functionality is simple. Whether it’s a sleek image gallery, a fully integrated blog, or robust user and permission management, Concrete CMS takes care of it.
And for those data lovers? Integrated reporting tools mean you can track everything from form results to user sessions, helping you make savvy marketing decisions.
Concrete CMS is versatile, robust, and ready to tackle any challenge your small business throws its way.
Key Features of Concrete CMS:
- Easy-to-use editor for in-context editing and WYSIWYG content editing, making site customization straightforward.
- One-click version update system, support for quick installs from the marketplace and automatic add-on update notifications.
- The platform offers modular blocks, reusable stacks, and customizable templates and page types.
- Users can easily create and manage forms and surveys with drag-and-drop functionality, custom form fields, and integration with popular CRMs.
Concrete CMS for small businesses that value flexibility, customization, and powerful content management capabilities. It’s ideal for those with specific design requirements, data collection needs, and content management workflows.
Pricing: Concrete CMS is free and open-source. However, you can also opt for highly beneficial pro packages, starting at $16/month.
Get Concrete CMS
What Is The Best CMS For Small Business
While there might not be a one-size-fits-all CMS because of the many different business needs, the following three do the trick for the majority:
- WordPress is the best CMS for small businesses due to its unparalleled versatility, allowing users to easily create professional websites and grow them over time with its vast plugin ecosystem.
- Wix offers an intuitive drag-and-drop website builder, making it perfect for beginners who want visually stunning sites without coding.
- Shopify shines as the top choice for eCommerce businesses, providing a comprehensive platform that streamlines online store management, from product listings to order fulfillment, all in one place.
How To Get Started With WordPress
Here’s a concise step-by-step guide to getting started with WordPress, tailored for small businesses:
- Choose a hosting provider: Research and select a web hosting provider with WordPress support. Popular choices include Bluehost, SiteGround, and WP Engine. (You can also check our guide on how to choose WordPress hosting.)
- Register a domain name: Choose a unique domain name representing your business and register it through your hosting provider or a domain registrar like GoDaddy or Namecheap.
- Install WordPress: Most hosting providers offer one-click WordPress installation. Log in to your hosting account, find the WordPress install option, and follow the prompts.
- Select a theme: Browse the WordPress theme directory or premium theme marketplaces to find a business theme that suits your style and needs. Install and activate your chosen theme.
- Customize your site: Customize your theme by going to the WordPress dashboard, then “Appearance” > “Customize.” Adjust colors, fonts, layout, and add your business logo.
- Create key pages: Create essential pages like Home, About Us, Services/Product, Contact, and Blog. Use the WordPress editor to add content and media to these pages.
- Install plugins: Enhance your site’s functionality with plugins. Essential plugins for small businesses include SEO tools (like Yoast SEO), security plugins (like Wordfence), and contact form builders.
- Configure settings: Under “Settings” in the dashboard, configure site settings like permalinks (URL structure), time zone, and comment moderation.
- Optimize for SEO: Use an SEO plugin to optimize your site’s content with appropriate keywords, meta descriptions, and SEO-friendly titles to improve search engine visibility.
- Launch your website: After double-checking content, links, and functionality, go live with your website. Announce your new site on social media and other marketing channels.
Remember, the WordPress community is vast and supportive, so don’t hesitate to seek out resources and tutorials for any specific needs or challenges you encounter.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is a CMS?
A CMS, or Content Management System, is a software platform that helps you create, manage, and modify website content without specialized technical knowledge.
Why is a CMS important for small businesses?
A CMS simplifies website management, allowing small businesses to easily update their content, maintain their site, and engage with their audience without advanced coding skills.
What are the key features to look for in a CMS for a small business?
Look for ease of use, customization options, scalability, mobile responsiveness, SEO tools, and reliable customer support.
How does a CMS impact website SEO?
A good CMS can enhance your SEO efforts by providing clean code, easy content updates, and tools for optimizing titles, descriptions, and URLs.
Can a CMS help with mobile optimization?
Yes, many CMS platforms offer mobile-responsive templates and designs, ensuring your site looks great and functions well on all devices.
Is it expensive to use a CMS for a small business?
Costs vary, but there are many affordable options, including free CMS platforms with basic features suitable for small businesses.
How secure is a CMS for a small business website?
CMS security depends on the platform and your practices. Choose a CMS with good security features and keep it updated to protect your site.
Will I need technical skills to use a CMS?
Basic CMS functions require minimal technical skills. However, for advanced customization, some technical knowledge might be helpful. Remember, you can build, run and manage a website without coding knowledge using a CMS.
How customizable are CMS platforms for branding purposes?
Most CMS platforms offer extensive customization options to align with your brand, including themes, layouts, and color schemes.
Can a CMS handle eCommerce functions for small businesses?
Yes, many CMS platforms either come with built-in eCommerce capabilities or allow integration with eCommerce plugins or extensions.
How does a CMS improve content management?
A CMS allows you to easily create, edit, and organize website content through a user-friendly interface, often with drag-and-drop functionality.
Was this article helpful?